Just like the Magic 8 Ball

This blog is kinda like the Magic Eight Ball. You never know what answer will float up to the top. It's because that's how my brain works. It doesn't work in a linear way. It works at random. Things I know will just pop up so when they do, I plan on writing them here. Enjoy!

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

HOW TO BUILD AN INEXPENSIVE GROW LIGHT AND GARDEN INSIDE


Make an inexpensive grow light

Are you an avid gardener like me? Are you already anticipating the arrival of your seed catalogs? I know I am. Do you drool over the big grow lights and trays for starting seedlings but like me don't have that kind of cash? I am going to tell you how to have a 3 or four shelve grow light for a fraction of the cost of the ones in the gardening book. I build my grow light for about a $150. That was a few years ago so it may be a little more expensive.

The first thing you need to do is buy the frame work. Not handy no problem, there is nothing to build. Just go to any store that sells stand along wire shelf units, K-marts, Meijers, Wal-mart, Lowe's or Home Depot are a few that I have seen this type of shelving in. There is one thing that you have to remember, you want the shelves that have a depth of 18 inches. Any smaller and your seedling trays won't fit. I got the biggest one that Lowe's carried and it cost about $80. It had four shelves and the shelves were 18 inches deep. They had smaller ones but I wanted to start a lot of seeds.

Once you get it home and out of the box, the fun begins. Some how instructions never seen to translate into English very well. So have fun, this is the hardest part of the whole thing. Decide how far apart you want your shelves. I gave a lot of height to my bottom shelve so I could over winter some of my geraniums. If all you want is to start seeds 12-15inches between each shelf should do. Getting the shelves on the stand, in the place that you want them all the while trying to make sure that it is level. Whew, that's done.

Now that your stand is up it's time for the lights. The lights you use are those cheap shop lights that you see in hardware and home supply stores. Mine cost between $10-$15. There should be two lights per shelf, so 8 shop lights all together. If you try to get by with just one per shelf, the seedlings wont get enough light. You will also need 2 power strips to hold the plugs. Some of the shop lights come with chains to hang some don't. I always buy enough chain at the hardware store so there is 2 chains per light. Each chain is 12 inches long. The chains can be raised or lowered as needed.

Using the chains simply hang the shop lights from the shelf above, plug them into the power strips and there you have it. A perfectly serviceable Grow light or a fraction of what they charge in the catalogs. Oh you will also have to purchase the florescent lights, you can even get ones that duplicate the sun.

So here's your list:

  • free standing wire shelf unit with a depth of 18 "
  • 8 shop lights if you are want to light 4 shelves
  • 2 power strips.
  • 16 12" pieces of chain for hanging the lights.

I had so much fun starting my seeds that I now have two.




In my cellar

The light stand with shop lights
The light stand with shop lights
My new light stand before lights
My new light stand before lights
With this rack new light stand could have four tiers
With this rack new light stand could have four tiers
There are fluorescent light bulbs that mimic the sun.
There are fluorescent light bulbs that mimic

No comments:

Post a Comment