Just like the Magic 8 Ball

This blog is kinda like the Magic Eight Ball. You never know what answer will float up to the top. It's because that's how my brain works. It doesn't work in a linear way. It works at random. Things I know will just pop up so when they do, I plan on writing them here. Enjoy!

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Heating the House with Pellet Stove

I have gotten so tired of the energy company's solution to the high price of natural gas. "Turn your thermostat down", they say. I already keep it a 60 most of the time. How much lower can it go before I freeze to death.

I did a lot of research and decided on a pellet stove. I had it installed last year and I love it. I chose a stove that does not get hot on the sides and the top. That way there is no danger of burns to the little ones hands. Those parts of the stove do get rather warm to the touch but not red hot.

I have found a way to keep my entire house warm through out the day with just my stove. It may not work in the dead of winter but right now it works just fine. When I get up in the morning, I turn my furnace thermostat to about 68 degrees. While I am cleaning the ash out of my stove, using my trusty shop-vac (I do not burn it all night), the house heats up. Then I fire up the pellet stove and once it gets the room up to 70 degrees the furnace shuts off. The stove then puts out enough heat to keep the entire house at a comfy temperature. It takes approximately 1 bag of pellets to keep my house heated all day.



No comments:

Post a Comment